Smoked Salmon & Spiced Red Lentils Monday, March 31 2014
Both gorgeous and brimming with flavor, this hot smoked salmon makes an excellent dish for entertaining. Smoking it creates a flaky, yet juicy, filet, and seasoning it with Spicely's Organic Fish Grill & Broil spice blend offers a non-overwhelming kick.
While this dish does require a bit of forethought, once cured, it comes together rather quickly and tastes excellent served with spiced lentils and/or steamed veggies.
2 large salmon filets (or barbecue cuts), skin intact and pin bones removed
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp Organic Fish Grill & Broil Seasoning
1. Sprinkle salt and seasoning on fish. Cover and let cure for a few hours in the refrigerator.
2. Brush the skin with a light coat of oil, and place skin-down in smoker.
3. Smoke over wood chips or charcoal, keeping the temperature inside the smoker between 150-160°F until the thickest part of the fish reads 150°.
4. Serve immediately or cool to room temperature, wrap tightly and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Spiced Red Lentils
1 cup red lentils, rinsed and sorted
1/2 cup white wine
1 1/2 cup broth (preferably vegetable or chicken)
1 tsp Organic Chicken Kebab Seasoning
1 clove minced fresh garlic
1. Sautee fresh minced garlic with olive oil. Add lentils and cook for a minute.
2. Deglaze with white wine and let reduce until almost gone.
3. Add broth and seasoning. Bring to a boil, place lid, and reduce heat to a simmer.
4. Cook until most of the liquid is gone, approximately 10-12 minutes.
5. Sprinkle in a good 3-finger pinch salt, mix with a fork, and serve. Add additional salt to taste.